Winter is just a couple weeks away and that means… snow. When snowstorms get too dangerous, many businesses find themselves needed to close shop. Three are many actions a business can take to secure their premises during a winter shutdown. Below is a checklist of actions for businesses to undertake to improve security:
- If the business is left empty over a holiday period or because of a winter storm, try to organize a rotation among employees to have the premises checked a least once a day for signs of criminal activity.
- Consider using timed lights to indicate the premises are in use.
- Ensure the alarm is working correctly and fully alarmed before you leave. Consider upgrading to a monitored system that provides 24/7 response service. Inform your monitoring company your planned dates of closure or when you’re away due to bad weather. Sentry Communications & Security offers 24/7/365 UL Central Station Monitoring.
- Ensure valuable stock or equipment is removed from the site or stored in an access-controlled area for an added layer of security.
- Refrain from using voicemail and email auto responders. Informing the public of the exact dates the business is closed is an invitation for burglaries. Immobilize any vehicles left onsite and store keys offsite or in an access controlled area.
- Remove all enticing items from view and lock drawers and filing cabinets.
- Ensure sprinklers and fire alarms are working properly and remove all combustible items.
By following these helpful business security tips, you can ensure your business and property are secured and safe while you’re away. Interested in monitored security or have business security questions? Contact an expert at Sentry Communications & Security today by calling 866-573-6879. Our business security experts are here to help keep you and your business safe.